Introduction + -
With its roots in 1884, “Zetski dom” is the oldest state theatre and cultural institution in Montenegro. During numerous epochs, until today, the theatre has remained one of the most important representatives of Montenegrin culture and art, and it is also valuable representative outside our borders.
There are numerous events and people who marked the long life of our theatre. In addition to theatre performances, in the Royal Theatre “Zetski dom” were also organized vocal and instrumental music performances, concerts, speeches, celebrations, dance schools, exhibitions, sports and social events, cinema screenings and numerous other events.
Remembering and appreciating the importance of all programmes and people, that make the history of our theatre precious, below we present the story of the Royal Theatre “Zetski dom” by era, each of which was equally important for the development and reputation of our institution.
The information presented in the history is part of comprehensive and extensive research by Ratko Đurović, Luka Milunović, Velimir Vujačić and Ljiljana Milunović, most of which were presented in the editions of the Royal Theatre “Zetski dom” in recent years.
Their work and dedication resulted in an immeasurable contribution to Montenegrin theatre and culture, and the Royal Theatre “Zetski dom” expresses gratitude by this way.
The beginnings of the theater and the construction project (1884-1900) + -
The roots of theatrical forms in Cetinje, go back to the middle of the 19th century, when in Biljarda – in the form of reading rehearsals – the first casting for the “The Mountain Wreath” was held, in which Petar II Petrović Njegoš probably participated. Today, in Njegoš Museum in Biljarda, one of the exhibits is a piece of paper with roles. Despite the struggles and wars during the following decades, historiography brings a series of records about the theatre activity in Cetinje – in 1864, the one-act play “Kap otrova” was performed, a year later Marin Stijepić was a guest with five volunteer actors, and cultural life was especially stimulated by the establishment of the Cetinje Reading Room (1868). Speeches, plays “Kir Janja”, “Šaran” and guest appearances by a number of acting troupes marked the seventies of the 19th century.
In addition to Biljarda, drama and similar forms were also performed at the court and in “Lokanda”.
The popularization of theatrical forms, as well as the support of numerous groups and individuals, led to the first appearance of a group in Cetinje at the end of 1883, united in the Voluntary Theatre Society, which originally operated at Cetinje Reading Room.
On January 2, 1884, the performance of the play “The Balkan Empress” followed, based on a play in verse by Prince Nikola, directed by Jovan Pavlović. The play was performed in the still unfinished house of Duke Mašo Vrbica (later the Turkish Embassy), and according to the periodicals of the time, it was attended by numerous citizens of Cetinje – 200 of them in the auditorium, and many outside the building, despite the extreme cold and snow.
Besides that, the year 1884 was particularly important because of the initiative to build “Zetski dom”. The Society’s idea of building a special house in which will be space for a theatre, library and museum was presented for the first time in the appeal of the main Board of Cetinje Reading Room to collect aid for the construction of “Zetski dom”.
In one of the following appeals in “Glas Crnogorca” was published that “Zetski dom cannot be the property of any private company, but of the entire Montenegrin people, for that the people have the right to build it”. Already that year, along with members of the royal family and state organizations, the people from Cetinje and the surrounding villages, from Podgorica, Nikšić and all other Montenegrin cities, all the way to Shkodër, Novi Sad, Sremski Karlovac, Split, Zagreb and Vienna, sent numerous financial contributions, so construction of the building could begin. The foundation stone was laid on May 1, 1884, with great ceremony.
The project of “Zetski dom” building was created by the architect Josip Slade Šilović, and the works were directly supervised by Toša Gojković and Jovo Terzović. Slade and Terzović were awarded the Order for the Independence of Montenegro – Danilo I.
During the next four years, with the support and frequent attendance of King Nikola and members of the royal family at performances, theatre life in Cetinje became more and more active, and the Voluntary Theatre Society will, on the occasion of the ceremonial welcome in 1885, be a guest in Podgorica for the first time.
Although unfinished, “Zetski dom” building began to serve its purpose in 1888, when Cetinje Reading Room was moved into it. Finally, on the December 5, the first play was performed in a building that would eventually become one of the key symbols of theatre activity in Montenegro. In the still unfinished hall, “The Balkan Empress” was on the programme, with slightly different protagonists – among them were the professors, a general, dukes, serdars, military leaders, writers, but also important businessmen and merchants. The mentioned performance will be remembered as the first play performed in “Zetski dom.
At the same time, the Rules of “Zetski dom” Society were also published. The document, which had 52 articles, defined in details the Assembly and the Management, the objectives of the activities and the resources of the Society.
The following year will pass with an increasing number of guest appearances at “Zetski dom”, but without particular success in the attempt to get Cetinje theatre its acting ensemble. In spite of this, various plays will continue to be performed on stage by Cetinje Reading Room Society, sometimes with the participation of students from Cetinje educational institutions, and in 1894 the “The Mountain Wreath” Society was established.
At the same time, the construction of the building continued. The written contract on the interior design of “Zetski dom” (1895), was signed by Professor Pavle Popović on behalf of “Zetski dom” with the undertakers Domenik Mamola and Karl Savin. Due to interior works during a significant part of 1896, no programs were held in “Zetski dom”.
A whole 12 years after the foundation stone was laid, the construction of “Zetski dom” – in which was invested more than 60 thousand fiorin– was completely finished. On October 26, 1896, the grand opening of the theatre was held, and for that occasion the premiere of the play “Prince Arvanit” was performed, for which, a year earlier, the text wrote Prince Nikola I Petrović.
The completion of the construction of “Zetski dom” was also the success of a large campaign to collect voluntary contributions, in which people from all over Montenegro participated, as well as numerous donors from outside Montenegro. It was an example of great solidarity and charity, and “Zetski dom” became “the property of Montenegro and all Montenegrins, not only today but also all who will come after us” (Jovan Pavlović, president of the Cetinje Reading Room).
Since 1896, the name Princely Montenegrin National Theatre has been in official use, which – along with the modern building – will have a regularly elected general director. Domestic plays, guest appearances and concerts became an integral part of the repertoire in “Zetski dom””, but the ambition to form a permanent theatre troupe will be realized in the next century.
Establishment and work of permanent theater (1900-1912) + -
The beginning of the new century passed with modest theatrical activities in “Zetski dom”. After the promulgation of the Constitution for the Principality of Montenegro (1906), it became host for the sessions of the Montenegrin National Assembly.
In the state parliament, in 1908, the issue was the establishment of permanent theatre, and at the same time, the Project for the establishment of permanent theatre in Montenegro was made. It is believed that the author of the document, written on eight sheets, was Branislav Nušić (Nušić’s memorandum).
Finally, in 1909, preparations began for the realization of an idea that would represent a special step – not only for “Zetski dom” and Cetinje, but also for theatre activity in Montenegro. In the same year, the Cetinje Workers’ Association hired professional actors Maša and Kaća Petrović. Professional state theatre will really come to life, after the presentation of the state budget for 1910, in which the amount of six thousand perper was foreseen for its establishment and work, it became clear that professional state theatre will really function.
Already in February 1910, the Princely Montenegrin National Theatre “Zetski dom” had Jovan Hajduković as its temporary general director, and Maša Petrović as director. The institution was managed by the Theatre’s Literary Committee. Due to disagreements, Hajduković will be replaced next month with professor Milo Kovačević, after that extensive preparations for the first theatre season followed. The design of the building was entrusted to Italian engineers and contractors, and the electrification of “Zetski dom” was also done. The first Statute of the Princely Montenegrin National Theater with 36 members also became valid.
The ceremony for the beginning of work of the Princely Montenegrin National Theatre was held on May 16, 1910, with all-day programme. The matinee, during which a specially written prologue was recited by Kaća Petrović, took place with the speech by Prince Nikola, and in the evening the play “The Balkan Empress” was performed. The opening of the professional theatre in Cetinje was supported by theatre institutions from Zagreb, Belgrade, Prague and Ljubljana, as well as numerous organizations and important personalities from outside Montenegro. The performances in Cetinje were played twice a week during the first period, and in the summer of 1910 the first tour followed in Podgorica, Nikšić, Bar and Ulcinj.
In preparation for the first theatre season, together with the married couple Petrović, professional contracts were also signed with actors Dara Miletić, Milutin Stevanović, Olga Moguš, Bogić Vojvodić, Milan Rupčić, Milan Katinski, Milko and Rudolf Dir, and the engagement of a number of part-time actors, among them were Ljubomir Tamindžić, Đoko Beg, Blažo Bratičević and others. In addition, “Zetski dom” payroll will soon include a housekeeper, a ticket seller, a prompter, a prop man and his assistant, an electrical officer, a ticket officer and a poster distributor. Following changes at the state level, the institution will be renamed the Royal Montenegrin National Theatre.
The first theatre season (1910/11) was substantial, and during it, in the period from August 1910 to July 1911, more than 115 plays were performed. From the beginning of 1911, Milutin Stevanović appeared as the director of the plays. On the other hand, from the spring of 1911, Milo Kovačević was no longer the general director of “Zetski dom” – he was temporarily replaced in that position with Dušan Vuksan, then with Kosta Kostić – and in June, with a written notice, Pero Bogdanović took over that position. There were also changes in the cast, so, despite several dismissals, the acting couples Hajdušković, Micić and Vučićević were hired, while Ljubomir Micić, Nikola Hajdušković and Ilija Vučićević will be hired as directors. During 1910, the visit of the Royal Croatian Theatre from Zagreb was notable, while the ensemble of the Royal Montenegrin National Theatre staged seven performances in Nikšić in the summer of 1911.
The second theatre season (1911/12) began in mid-October. During six months, according to the available data, more than 60 plays were performed in the Royal Montenegrin National Theatre. After that, the ensemble toured in Podgorica and Nikšić, where they performed 21 plays.
Preparations for the third season in “Zetski dom” were abruptly stopped in the fall of 1912, due to the start of the war. Two Balkan wars and one world war will cause the suspension of the work of “Zetski dom” for a long period. In 1916, the theatre building suffered serious damage in a fire, and the theatre would come to life again in the fourth decade of the 20th century.
From the reconstruction to the end of the war (1931-1944) + -
The three wars in which Montenegro participated during the second decade of the 20th century caused the theatrical life in Cetinje to die, and during one period “Zetski dom” building was used for wounded. After the First World War, the Kingdom of Montenegro disappeared – and the National Theatre also suffered its fate, and the building was destroyed during the war.
Great social divisions reflected in attempts to restore theatre activities. Jagoš Jovanović wrote in the work “Development of theatre art in Montenegro” that “the new government had no authority, its decisions and solutions were not respected and implemented even by those who created it, so it is understandable that in such conditions nothing could be done to develop cultural life either.”
Nevertheless, in 1922, a group of enthusiasts – among them several actors from the former Royal Montenegrin National Theatre – started the Cetinje Theatre Society. The activities of the new organization received considerable attention from the citizens, and at the same time they also represented a strong pressure on the authorities to establish a professional state theatre.
However, the preparations for the reconstruction of “Zetski dom” took too long, and the activities on establishing the professional theatre were not more dynamic. Therefore, in 1931, with the publication of the Rulebook of the Zeta Banate Theatre, the continuation of theatre activity was official. Experienced director and theatre organizer Mihailo Marković was appointed as general director, and the reconstruction of “Zetski dom” building was completed almost at the same time. However, during the reconstruction, almost no attention was paid to the original structure of the building – both the exterior and the interior were completely changed. The front facade got a completely different look, and the recognizable three arches at the entrance disappeared. Instead of the painted curtain that existed before, the stage in the theatre was closed by a monochrome drapery.
The reconstucted theatre in Cetinje was officially opened on September 6, 1931, with the performance of three drama segments directed by Jovan Gec – “The Mountain Wreath”, “The Death of mother Jugovich” and “Hasanaginica”. Four days later, the 1931/32 theatre season will begin, with the play “The Government Inspector”, directed by Mihailo Marković. During the season that lasted until May 1932, the Zeta Banate National Theatre staged 68 performances on its home stage. In addition, two tours were realized. During the first tour, at the end of 1931, the ensemble performed in Dubrovnik, Kotor and Herceg Novi. From May to July, guest appearances followed in Nikšić, Kolašin, Andrijevica, Berane, Bijelo Polje, Mitrovica, Prijepolje and, on the way back, in Podgorica.
In the next season theatre had 34 members in the artistic and technical ensemble, i.e. 11 less than in the previous one. At the beginning, on September 25, the premiere of the play “Maksim Crnojević” was performed , directed by Vas Kostić, and by the end of the season, 67 more plays will be performed on the stage of “Zetski dom”, mostly directed by Miloš Rajčević. The first of two tours in the 1932/33 season, took place in November and December, in Dubrovnik, Kotor, Risan, Herceg Novi, Tivat and Trebinje. During the second, organized from May to July, the theatre ensemble performed in Podgorica, Danilovgrad, Nikšić, Kotor, Tivat, Herceg Novi, Risan and Trebinje.
The next two years brought a new lull in the work of “Zetski dom” – almost all the members of the ensemble left and went to other theatre houses, so the reconstuction followed in 1935, when Jovan Gec was appointed as the general director of the theatre. Thus, the 1935/36 theatre season started in September, during which almost 80 plays were performed in Cetinje. On the other hand, there were also two tours – at the end of 1935, the members of the ensemble performed on stages in Tivat, Dubrovnik, Risan, Kotor, Herceg Novi and Trebinje, followed by guest appearances in the continental part of Zeta Banate from May.
The 1936/37 season, during which 21 premieres were staged, along with two new tours, will be marked by the departure of Jovan Gec from the position of general director, shortly after Vitomir Bogić took over this position . With 24 engaged persons in the artistic and 11 in the technical part of the ensemble, the theatre staged 17 premieres next season, along with already established tours at the end of the year and during the spring. In October 1939, the Children’s Theatre started to work.
This was the case until the end of the 1940/41 season, when the war drastically affected the work of the theatre. Despite this, during the summer of 1941, the occupying authorities – took a stand that the theatre must continue functioning. The 1941/42 season began in September, which, with an extraordinary atmosphere and modest quality, passed in the sign of a dozen pieces. At the same time, many former members of the artistic and technical part of the ensemble joined the partisans. Among them was Špiro Mugoša, who died in 1943, as well as Dušan Popović, who worked in wartime to create a drama group that performed in the liberated territories of Montenegro.
Notable production in the post-war period (1944-1955) + -
At the end of the World War II, theatre activity was quickly restored in Montenegro. This statement is especially true when it comes to Cetinje, where “Zetski dom” started working only a few days after the liberation (November 13, 1944).
This strategy was developed at the beginning of 1944, when the Art Group headed by Dušan Popović was formed at the session of ZAVNO in Kolašin. It was a forerunner of Montenegrin National Theatre, which, as a state institution, will operate in Cetinje from November of that year. In the same month, the newly formed ensemble played the first piece in “Zetski dom”. It was the play “Vukac Paštrović”, a dramatization of the text by Stjepan Mitrov Ljubiša, which was directed by Miloš Jeknić.
From November 1944 to March 1945, there were 12 plays on the programme at “Zetski dom”, but equally important were the first post-war tours of the theatre – often close to the war operations, which were still ongoing. First, in February and March, 25 plays were performed in Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia, and were attended by a total of 19 thousand visitors. April was marked by a tour in Albania. A total of 11 plays were performed in Tirana, Elbasan, Shkodër, Korča and Podgradec.
In the first half of 1945, Vladimir Dudo Špilar was appointed as the general director of the Theatre, and the collective had 31 members, and by the following year that number would be almost doubled.
It is important to mention that the director Vasilije Šćućkin came to Cetinje in the middle of 1945, and his work with young people influenced that the Pioneer Theatre also operated in “Zetski dom” from 1947. In addition, in 1950, the Drama Studio was founded at “Zetski dom”.
After successful tours, the National Theatre was dedicated to the first post-war season, which began on July 10, 1945, with the premiere of the play “People’s Deputy”. During the 1945/46 season, the audience at “Zetski dom” attended 51 performances of the National Theater, but the ensemble was equally active in guest performances. During the summer of 1945, a big tour was organized in nine Montenegrin cities – with 33 plays performed. The following year, from March to July, the theatre toured almost continuously in Podgorica, Ulcinj, Bar, Petrovac, Budva, Kotor, Risan, Tivat, Herceg Novi, Nikšić, Šavnik, Pljevlja, Bijelo Polje, Berane, Andrijevica, Kolašin, Dubrovnik , Lastovo and Prijepolje. It was the longest tour, during which 111 plays were performed.
Season 1946/47. The National Theatre had new general director, Milutin Plamenac, who will soon be replaced with Danilo Lekić. With him, the former director of the Serbian National Theatre Aleksandar Vereščagin came to Cetinje, whose presence influenced both the repertoire and the organization. During the season, the acting ensemble was divided into two groups – the first performed on the main stage in “Zetski dom”, and the second was in charge of tours. During this season, 55 plays were performed in Cetinje, and for the first time the acting ensemble performed in the surrounding places – such as Rijeka Crnojevića, Ljubotinj and Čevo, where the audience saw the play “Suspicious Character”.
The next season (1947/48) will be remembered for a record. Namely, from October 1947 to July 1948, the ensemble of the National Theatre performed in “Zetski dom” and on tours a total of 202 plays, which were attended by 75,222 spectators. Radio Titograd has additionally started to contribute to the affirmation of dramatic forms in Montenegro, where professional actors read radio dramas. In addition, in 1947, the newspaper “Theatre” was published in Montenegro.
Season 1948/49 was opened with the premiere of the play “Duboki korijeni” (director: Dušan Popović). It this season 66 plays were performed in “Zetski dom” and 54 guest appearances. During the next season (1949/50), 140 plays were performed, and the performances in Croatia were particularly notable – the ensemble of the National Theatre performed there in front of audiences in Split, Šibenik, Zadar, Sinj, Knin and Metković. In theatre season 1950/51 seven premieres and 118 plays were performed in “Zetski dom” and 11 other Montenegrin cities.
Number of performances in the theatre season 1951/52 was higher than the previous one (128), with nine premieres. The piece “The Mountain Wreath”, which was directed by Miro Kopač and Mirko Simić on the occasion of the centenary of Njegoš’s death, was particularly notable. The ensemble of the theatre performed 146 plays in the 1952/53 season, with 12 premieres, but in the following season their number was considerably smaller (91 performances, 10 premieres).
The summer of 1954 will mark the 70th anniversary of the founding of the National Theatre. On that occasion, on July 14 and 15, the play “Šćepan Mali” (text: Petar II Petrović Njegoš; Director: Boško Bošković) was performed twice on the Cetinje Summer Stage.
The celebration, however, will be overshadowed by the transformation of the theatre network in Montenegro, which began in April 1954. The Executive Council of the NRCG then issued a Decision on the declaration of the National Theatre in Cetinje as an institution with independent financing.
The National Theatre performed 141 plays in the 1954/55 season. Namely, in 1955, the Decision on the termination of the work of the National Theatre in Cetinje as a republican institution with independent financing became valid. Although the Cetinje theatre formally still had the status of professional, its future became quite clear.
In the biography of “Zetski dom”, the year 1955 is also associated with the foundation of the Puppet Theatre. In the period from 1944 to 1955, in addition to the already mentioned Vladimir Špilar, Milutin Plamenac and Danilo Lekić, the general directors of the Cetinje National Theatre were also Dušan Popović, Miroslav Dedić, Radonja Vešović, Junus Međedović and Savo Vukmanović.
The road to amateurism and extinction (1955-1976) + -
Under the management of Petar Vujović and director Đorđe Vujović, the Cetinje National Theatre entered the 1955/56 season with much uncertainty due to the decisions of the authorities in 1954 and 1955. Despite this, eight premieres were performed, with a total of 71 plays. But this time, after a long period of time, there were no tours – only two plays were performed in Danilovgrad, and one in Njeguši and Čevo. The next season (1956/57) was more notable, among the 106 performances there were nine premieres, and a successful tour on the Montenegrin coast. Although, for the theatre season 1957/58 10 premieres were prepared, the number of performances was much more modest (64), with only two guest appearances, in Tivat.
In 1957, there was joining of the previously separate units of “Zetski dom” – Puppet Theatre and Pioneer Theatre. In this way, the Cetinje Children’s Theatre was created, which in the following years will be recognizable for its numerous dramatic and puppet plays.
During 1958, as a consequence of decisions from 1954 and 1955, the Executive Council of Montenegro will pass a decision on transferring the rights of founders for national theatres to the national committees of municipalities. Accordingly, on May 30, 1958, the People’s Committee of the Municipality of Cetinje passed the Decision on the establishment of the National Theatre “Zetski dom”, which stated, among other things, that “The theatre has the character of amateur”. In practice, as it will turn out, it was the beginning of the road to the suspension of “Zetski dom”, despite the exceptional enthusiasm of the late 1950s and early 1960s.
The members of “Zetski dom” in the 1958/59 season performed 67 plays, and the following season 41. But, apart from the quantity, the repertoire itself became increasingly scarce in other respects as well.
Already in the 1962/63 season, the members of “Zetski dom”” played only 13 performances, and the building was used for the performance of plays by visiting theaters, as well as programmes of other artistic organizations from Cetinje and beyond.
During 1976, after several transformations, as well as another fire in the building, “Zetski dom” formally ceased to exist – becoming part of the newly formed Cultural Center. After the devastating earthquake in 1979, due to damage, all activities in “Zetski dom” building ceased, the reconstuction would be in the early nineties.
New life and the third century of Zetski dom (1992-) + -
Recovery of the consequences of the devastating earthquake in 1979 in Cetinje took years, and in its final phase, the reconstruction of “Zetski dom” building followed. The project was started with the ambition to restore the work of the theatre, which will happen in the early nineties. During 1991, a 60-member Committee for the completion of works was formed and the opening of “Zetski dom” followed, which was presided by the Prime Minister of Montenegro Milo Đukanović, and which included Prince Nikola Petrović, director Dušan Vukotić, painters Miodrag Dado Đurić and Dimitrije Popović, musician Arsen Dedić, professor Ratko Đurović, writer Borislav Pekić, actors Rade Šerbedžija, Žarko Laušević, Dragica Tomas and others.
The reconstruction of the building was supported by the collection of voluntary contributions, and was completed in 1992. The reconstructed building of the oldest theatre opened its doors to art lovers on December 19 of that year. In March of the following year, after a multi-decade break, a professional theatre group performed in “Zetski dom” – it was “Atelje 212”.
The era during which the new cultural awakening of Cetinje took place, and which history recognizes by the launch of the Cetinje Biennale, brought the idea of renewal of artistic production in “Zetski dom”. In this respect, one of the most significant dates was February 10, 1994, when the cult play “Princess Xenia of Montenegro” by director Radmila Vojvodić premiered. Both the premiere and reruns of the play with a plot from the past of Montenegro were marked by enormous interest of the audience.
In 1995, institution the Royal Theatre “Zetski dom” was founded. The renewed institution was managed by acting director Gojko Čelebić, and from the first years of its work, the most significant was the hundredth performance of “Princess Xenia of Montenegro”, which was in 1998.
The first theatre season after the 1960s in “Zetski dom” began in 2002. At that time, acting director was Slobodan Božović, and then Ljubomir Đurković was appointed general director. The first results of its own production followed in January 2003, when the play “King Ibi” premiered, directed by Slobodan Milatović. After that, the performances “Card Index”, “Final Countdown”, the opera “Dido and Aeneas” were performed, and during the summer of 2003, in cooperation with the Swedish Royal Academy of Music and the Academy of Music from Cetinje will be staged Montenegro Music Festival.
Since then until today, the Royal Theatre “Zetski dom” stands behind an increasingly dynamic and diverse repertoire. Numerous renowned domestic and foreign directors and actors contributed to the production of our theatre, and our plays have been performed and awarded in a number of European countries. Equally valuable is the effort of those without whom the Royal Theatre “Zetski dom” would not be recognized today as one of the leading cultural institutions in Montenegro – namely its employees.
Just like in the 19th and 20th centuries, the audience in Cetinje is directed to the theatre, so the performances in “Zetski dom” are filled with spectators. On the other hand, except for tours, we are particularly proud of domestic, regional and international co-productions.
The mandates of directors Slobodan Božović, Vesna Miranović, artistic director Lidija Dedović and current director Ilija Subotić are tied to the operations of the Royal Theatre “Zetski dom” in recent times. In addition to numerous productions and the realization of high artistic achievements, the theatre as a partner or leader, participated in projects co-financed by the European Union: “Collective plays!” and ADNICH.
Thanks to this, we have great cooperation with theatres from Croatia, Slovenia, Serbia and Italy.
Since 2015, “Zetski dom” has been realizing the Montenegrin International Theatre Festival – MIT, one of the most important in Montenegro, which, with a carefully selected programmes, contributes to the improvement of culture at the local and national level.
Another important moment in recent history happened at the end of 2020, when the Royal Theatre “Zetski Dom” got a permanent acting ensemble.
Similar to the post-war period, our theatre was also recognized for the implementation of programmes and projects for children and young people, important for the development of their cultural needs and habits, and participation in the creation of new productions. It is about the educational and cultural segments Studio of the Royal Theatre and Art Education Day.
From the past, which contains the names of thousands of those who contributed to our theatre from the stage and behind it, we draw motivation for the future, in which “Zetski dom” will remain one of the most important pillars of Montenegrin culture.
From the past
The gallery contains a selection of archival drawings and photos of the Royal Theatre Zetski dom.
The posters used to announce the programs are an important part of the history of our theater. Their selection is now available in the electronic archive.